Welcome to Alice's World

The purpose of this blogsite is to bring glory to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. There will be many different topics discussed, so hopefully you will enjoy your visit with me. Some of the topics may be very controversial, while others may be the normal stuff everybody already knows a little about. Because I am a Christian as well as an herbal enthusiast and also grow and am always learning about organic gardening and heirloom seeds and plants, I believe in going to what I believe to be the "book of books," meaning the Authorized King James Version of 1611 Bible, for most of the things discussed here. The things mentioned will be involving these topics. Of course, from time to time you may see pictures of my family (my grown children and my grandchildren as well as my other half, i.e.HUSBAND), but for now I would just like to say THANKS for joining me!







Wednesday, December 29, 2010

December Newsletter

HERBS AND HEIRLOOMS

December, 2010
He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herbs for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth...



                                          Dandelion

From The Herb Patch

Seen any of these lately? Usually this time of year they are everywhere growing and shooting out their greens and sometimes you will see it flower. Most people esteem this herb as a common weed and usually spend a lot of money trying to get rid of it. There are actually pesticides for lawns devoted particularly to getting rid of the dandelion. If I’m not too late, I intend to get outside and cut some of the leaves for drying and also dig up the whole plant for drying. You say, “Why would I go through all the trouble to dig up this weed?”

Fact:  the dandelion is a perennial herb which is native to Europe and Asia, and occurs widely in temperate regions of the world, often found in nitrogen-rich soils. The parts used are leaves and flowers fresh for culinary use or dried for medicinal preparations; the roots are dried for medicinal purposes.
It is one of the best blood purifiers and builders available. It is high in vitamins and minerals, especially calcium. It restores and balances the blood so that anemia caused by deficiencies disappears. This is the herb for improving low blood pressure, and it helps build energy and endurance. It is also one of the best liver cleansers and is therefore great for skin diseases. It is taken internally for urinary infections and considered beneficial for rheumatic complaints and gout. Also said to improve appetite and digestion and of great benefit nutritionally, as it is high in vitamins A and C and a rich source of iron, magnesium, potassium and calcium.
Young leaves of dandelions are added to salads, often blanched first to reduce bitterness, or cooked, like spinach, as a vegetable. The roasted root makes a palatable, soothing, caffeine-free substitute for coffee.
As I am sitting here writing about this herb, I am actually kicking myself around the block because I have so many dandelions around me and have allowed other things to keep me from harvesting and drying these vitamin packed herbs. I am actually angry with myself for not realizing how important this one herb is to me, especially since I am always trying to find ways to boost my calcium and magnesium intake as well as iron intake. I had seriously planned to gather dandelion roots and greens to dry and make a tincture out of them so that I will have a potent medicine available. Hopefully, I am not too late. So, what are you waiting for?
Get out there and get those dandelions! ☺

The Incredible Edible Wild Onion
Onions have been held in high esteem throughout recorded history and used in nearly every cuisine around the globe. They are one of the oldest known vegetables, probably among the first cultivated crops, are easy to grow, do well in a wide range of soils and climates, are less perishable than many other vegetables, and grow wild in many regions of the world. It is this wild onion on which I would like to focus. Just look around in your yard and just about everywhere you will see the tiny green “pencil-thin leaves of the wild onion. Many years ago as a child my brothers, cousins, and I would feast on wild onions out in our country yard. Yes, we would come in the house smelling like a goat! It was funny because we used to laugh about this. But even though I tried to get away from these “wild herbs”, I eventually found myself once again cutting wild onions in my yard and using them in some of my recipes. Most people see them as just weeds that need to be cut down and in the springtime they are usually the first green that signals the mowing of the lawn. Now, I try my best to shield and protect these delicacies, because you see I believe they are God’s way of adding free pungent aroma and taste to our food and they also provide many valuable nutrients. Wild onions seem to me to be much stronger than normal onion and garlic chives that I have grown in the past. They grow generously in most areas. Yes, I go out into my yard and cut these onions with scissors, bring them inside and either further cut them up in small pieces and pop them in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer, or they might go in a quiche (an egg dish) that I am cooking at the time. They are wonderful chopped up in soups. They keep very well if you just pull out a freezer bag and take a few out to cook with and then put them back in the freezer before they thaw. You wonder how I can eat something that the dog may have “peed” on. Well, first of all, I don’t think my dog can pee on all of the onions I see growing wild in my yard and secondly, I usually wash them before I cut and use them for eating or freezing. I always wonder why the people who ask that question if they have ever considered where their onions have come from that they purchase at a supermarket. Most of them come from China or Mexico and God only knows what has happened to them while being cultivated or in transit to market. So, I take my chances on fresh freebies. If freezing, be sure to dry them first with paper towels to get the excess water off.
My favorite recipe using wild onions: (My husband really likes this)

Crustless Quiche

                              4 eggs, beaten                                            
2/3 cup wild onions, chopped
                 2/3 cup mayonnaise                                 
 1 cup turkey ham, chopped
                       1 cup milk                                                  
4 tablespoons flour (wheat)
              16 ounces grated Swiss or Cheddar cheese           
       1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper (optional)
                                                                
Mix all ingredients and place in greased 9 x 13” pan. Bake at 350ยบ for 45 minutes.
You can add other ingredients if you like. Sometimes I put leftover green beans or asparagus in my casserole. There are many options that can be interchanged in this recipe.
Note: This may be frozen and reheated.
Enjoy!

Children's Immunity Plus

As I stated last month, last year I decided to try and make a natural immune tincture for my grandchildren.  I studied Dr. Schultz’s information on his children’s immune formula as well as reading behind those who had created their own medicine.  After much research, I formulated what I call Children’s Immunity Plus, which contains echinacea, wild cherry bark, dried lemon peel, elderberry extract, and anise seed in a base of vegetable glycerin and maple syrup for a great tasting children’s immune formula. I am sorry that I do not have a picture at this time, but I am working on changing my labels for the herbal remedies I am making. I am finding that I need to increase the dosage for this formula, so don’t hesitate to do so. This is a great tincture for small children and elderly people who can’t take the stronger Super Immune Tonic.  

Coming up next:

Me Me’s Super Blast (a combination of echinacea, garlic, cayenne and peppermint oil especially formulated for throat and tonsil). So stay tuned for this. Also, I am going to be looking into making an arthritis joint cream using similar ingredients that Dr. Schultz uses in his Deep Tissue formula which contains wintergreen and arnica flower. I have tried this and it is wonderful for arthritis joint pain.
Yes, the Lord willing, there will be more. I am sick and tired of being at the mercy of other companies who have very little herbs in their products and/or they are very costly.


ME ME’S STUFF (PRICE LIST)

SUPER IMMUNE TONIC            
 4 OUNCE TINCTURE BOTTLE (TRIAL SIZE)                    $10.00

20 OUNCE  WITH 2 OUNCE
                      TINCTURE BOTTLE                                    $32.00

CHILDREN’S IMMUNITY PLUS   
                      4 OUNCE TINCTURE BOTTLE                    $10.00
                                             
 ME ME’S BUTT SALVE            
                     4 OUNCE TIN                                              $12.00

(I AM WORKING ON A LOW COST WAY OF GETTING THIS PRODUCT TO MY CUSTOMERS AND WOULD GLADLY ACCEPT ANY ADVICE CONCERNING THIS AS WELL AS FEEDBACK ON THE PRODUCTS I AM SELLING) So far I am coming up with adding about $2.00 to the regular cost to keep my cost of shipping down. It generally cost from $3-$4 to mail something, depending on where it is going.


alice_forwork55@yahoo.com

Phone:  434-454-7075 (leave message)

Visit my blogspot at www.avisitwithalice.blogspot.com


BEAUTY IN BLOOM
I
n case your skin hits a rough patch while covered up in sweaters, and boots, don’t fret! Here are a few simple body scrubs and soaks to help slough off dry, scaly skin.

ROUGH ELBOWS AND KNEES
  1. Before a bath or shower, massage a small amount of natural oil into your skin.
  2. Once in the shower or bath, rub some baking soda on the oiled areas to gently exfoliate. Don’t over do it; 30 seconds is plenty.
  3. After bathing, pat your skin dry and massage in a rich body cream or natural oil, such as olive oil. For best results, try this treatment at night before going to sleep.

COCONUT OATMEAL
ELBOW CREAM
Rough, dry elbows can make arms seem a little worse for wear, and may even feel uncomfortable. This gentle exofoliating cream gets those joints looking their best. It also works well for removing rough, dry skin from knees and feet.

2 Tbls. coconut oil
1 tsp. vitamin E oil
2 Tbls. ground oatmeal

Mix together all ingredients and stir well. Spoon into a clean container.
To use: Rub a small amount into your elbows and leave on for 15 minutes. Tissue off and massage more coconut oil or your favorite cream into skin.
 Yield:  2 ounces.


BEES’ KNEES
We often forget to take care of our knees, which makes them another classic spot for rough skin. Keep them
polished and soft with this body scrub that features honey, a natural skin softener.

1 Tbls finely ground almonds
1 Tbls olive oil
2 Tbls pure honey

SKIN-SOFTENING
 FOOT SOAK
For a soothing and skin softening soak for your feet, try vinegar. Add one cup of apple cider or white vinegar to a basin of warm water (1-2 gallons) and let your feet soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Scrub with a brush or loofah sponge to remove any dead skin and pat dry. Follow up with a light natural oil.


Until next time.....

☺Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment