Welcome to Alice's World

The purpose of this blogsite is to bring glory to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. There will be many different topics discussed, so hopefully you will enjoy your visit with me. Some of the topics may be very controversial, while others may be the normal stuff everybody already knows a little about. Because I am a Christian as well as an herbal enthusiast and also grow and am always learning about organic gardening and heirloom seeds and plants, I believe in going to what I believe to be the "book of books," meaning the Authorized King James Version of 1611 Bible, for most of the things discussed here. The things mentioned will be involving these topics. Of course, from time to time you may see pictures of my family (my grown children and my grandchildren as well as my other half, i.e.HUSBAND), but for now I would just like to say THANKS for joining me!







Wednesday, August 10, 2011

July 2011 Newsletter

JULY, 2011

He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herbs for the service of man: that he
may bring forth food out of the earth...


Blackberry

From The Herb Patch
Hello once again folks! This month I decided to talk about one of my favorite herbal fruits. I did say one of my favorites. And I guess you wonder why blackberries got on the list of “herbs”. Well, actually blackberries, especially the leaves, can be used for many medicinal purposes. Also, they would be seen on the list of heirloom plants.
In the U.S. blackberries typically peak during June in the South, and in July in the North. Crops are ready at various times of the month depending on which part of the state you are located. In order to produce good local blackberries, producers depend on ideal spring and early summer weather conditions. So far, this year in my area the weather has been good for blackberries and I have an abundance right in my far back yard! Each year I get a little antsy about whether or not these bushes which started off as a small patch will have the right kind of weather in order to have a lot of berries, and not dry up on the bush like they will when there is little rain. When the rain has been plentiful, most of the time the berries will be plumper. I have learned this by experience. Before my patch on the property got bigger, I miraculously found a few huge patches down the road from my house. I prayed for lots of berries that year, and the Lord amply provided. I usually pick them for eating in berry dumplings, put them in a smoothie, or make jam and jelly which I really like. But, I have to warn you to watch out for “chiggers”. They can truly get under your skin!! And itch like the dickens. This I know from recent experience! J That being the fact that this year after sitting and standing in and around my berry patch due to trying to be careful not to cause my back to go out, I acquired an extreme case of chigger bites. I mean probably around 200 on different parts of my body. Yes, they itch and can cause fatigue because the body is trying to deal with all the toxins going into it. But, I found a new use for Super Immune Tonic...Better than the Salve I make. The tonic when rubbed on the bites stopped most of the itching and started to dry them up very quickly. No, it did not sting like I thought it would. So, I am on the mend. Yes, I stopped picking berries for a few days. And yes, you have to deal with all the thorns on the berry bushes. Ouch!!! Or you can plant thornless, which is a smart move. But, then you can’t have a conversation with your grandchild like I did about thorns and God putting a curse on the land because of Adam and Eve’s sin. Which ended up in a discussion about the crown of “big” thorns pushed down on the Lord Jesus Christ’s head before his crucifixion.

So, now for the facts...
Blackberry Facts and Tips: Blackberry is a sprawling shrub growing up to 5 feet in height. The stems and leaves bear thorns, although some thorn free cultivars exist. The dark green compound leaves consist of 3 or 5 leaflets. The flowers resemble small roses and are white or light pink colored. During early summer and autumn depending on where you live the typical blackberries are formed, which are purplish-black colored.
Blackberry leaves are traditionally used for the treatment of burns and scald. Tea from blackberry (leaves, root and bark) is astringent and used against intestinal disorders such as diarrhea and dysentery. Chewing of fresh blackberry leaves helps to heal bleeding gums and inflammation of the mouth and throat.
Black Raspberries, also known as "black caps" are a very healthy food; packed with anthocyanins!
*       The USDA says 1 cup of blackberries has about 62 calories.
*       Select plump, firm, fully black berries. Unripe berries will not ripen once picked. 
*       Blackberry tea was said to be a cure for dysentery during the Civil War. During outbreaks of dysentery, temporary truces were declared to allow both Union and Confederate soldiers to "go blackberry" to forage for blackberries to ward off the disease.
*       Researchers have known for quite some time that berries contain antioxidants which help to fight cancer causing free radicals.  A study at the University of Ohio has found that black berries are the most potent cancer fighting berries of them all, by nearly 40 percent!
Tips on How to Pick Blackberries: There are two types of blackberries to know about: thorny and thornless! Obviously, the thornless are easier to pick, but some people claim the thorny varieties are sweeter. With the thorny plants, you want to reach into the plant in the gaps, so you don't need to touch anything but the berry you're after, avoiding the thorns.
  1. A ripe blackberry is deep black with a plump, full feel. It will pull free from the plant with only a slight tug.  If the berry is red or purple, it's not ripe yet.
  2. Repeat these operations using both hands until each holds 3 or 4 berries. Unlike strawberries, blackberries are usually pretty tough, I dump mine into the bucket. Repeat the picking process with both hands.
  3. Don't overfill your containers or try to pack the berries down.
General Picking Tips: Avoid placing the picked berries in the sunlight any longer than necessary. It is better to put them in the shade of a tree or shed than in the car trunk or on the car seat. Cool them as soon as possible after picking. Blackberries may be kept fresh in the refrigerator for up to a week, depending upon the initial quality of the berry. After a few days in storage, however, the fruit loses its bright color and fresh flavor and tends to shrivel.
When you get home DON’T wash the berries until you are ready to use them or freeze them.  Washing makes them more prone to spoiling.
1.    Pour them out into shallow pans and remove any mushed, soft or rotting berries
2.    Put a couple of days supply into the fridge, wash off the others, drain them and freeze them up! (Unless you're going to make jam right away) Blackberries are less perishable than blueberries or strawberries, but refrigerate them as soon as possible after picking. Temperatures between 34 F and 38 F are best, but, be careful not to freeze the blackberries (while they are in the fridge)!
3.    Even under ideal conditions blackberries will only keep for a week in a refrigerator, so for best flavor and texture, use them as soon as possible after purchase
How to freeze blackberries: Just rinse them in cold water.  I use a large bowl filled with water, pour the berries in, and gently stir them with my fingers to dislodge any dirt or bugs.  Then using my fingers like a sieve, I scoop the blackberries out of the water, and put them in a drainer to let the water drain off (overnight is best) Then lay them out on a shallow large tray and pop in the freezer until completely frozen. Take them out of the freezer and let sit for a few minutes so that they are easier to scoop off the tray. Place them in freezer bags that have been labeled and dated.  Make sure all the air is pressed out of the bag and stick them in the freezer for keeping.



RECIPE
Fruit Cobbler (used for any fruit, especially blackberries)
         ¼ cup butter                        
         ¾ cup milk                                                             
         1 cup flour               
         ½ teaspoon salt
         ½ cup sugar                        
         3 cups sweet fruits, cut up                        
         2 teaspoons baking powder
         1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pour melted butter in bottom of 8x8 inch pan. In mixing bowl combine flour, one cup sugar, baking powder, milk and salt. Mix together and pour over butter. To fruit, add the ½ cup of sugar and cinnamon. Place fruit mixture on top of batter. Bake at 350 degrees 35 to 40 minutes. This is very good and easy to prepare. Serves 8-9.           ENJOY!!


This month I am enclosing a copy of my brochure which gives a description of my products and what they cost. If you would like to order something please let me know. This is enclosed only as a means of getting the information out and I in no way trying to make my newsletter readers feel obligated to buy my products.

UNTIL NEXT TIME...................

No comments:

Post a Comment